- Cross Country
- Swim & Dive
- Boys' Golf
- Girls' Golf
- Boys' Tennis
- Girls' Tennis
- Track and Field
- Field Hockey
- Girls' Lacrosse
- Boys' Lacrosse
- Boys' Soccer
- Girls' Soccer
- Boys' Volleyball
- Boys' Water Polo
- Girls' Water Polo
- Traditional Comp. Cheer
- Boys & Girls' Basketball
|Fall Sports (August-November)|
|Sport||Head Coach||Tryout Dates|
|Cross Country||Marco Ariasemail@example.com||Boys' & Girls Tryout Monday, Feb 1st @ 3:00 PM FHS Field|
|Field Hockey||Debbie Bergfirstname.lastname@example.org||
Skill & Conditioning Tryout Dates Tue/Feb/2
Thur/Feb/ 4 @3:00 PM FHS Field.
|Girls' Golf||Neil Medlockemail@example.com|
|Girls' Tennis||Bill Lenawayfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Traditional Cheer||Arlene Gomezemail@example.com|
|Girls' Volleyball||Jason Dalefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Boys' Water Polo||Bill Richardsonemail@example.com|
|Winter Sports (November-February)|
|Boys' Basketball||Moe Golshnifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Girls' Basketball||Samuel Harrisonemail@example.com|
|Boys' Soccer||Jorge Rojasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Girls' Soccer||Sergio Garciaemail@example.com|
|Girls' Water Polo||Sean Redmondfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Spring Sports (February-May)|
|Boys' Golf||Neil Medlockemail@example.com|
|Boys' Lacrosse||Mike Zinnigerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Girls' Lacrosse||Debbie Bergemail@example.com|
|Swim and Dive||Sean Redmondfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Boys' Tennis||Bill Lenawayemail@example.com|
|Track and Field||Marco Ariasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Boys' Volleyball||Chip Pattersonemail@example.com|
CIF Memo update (Revised 2-22-2021)
TO: CIF SAN DIEGO SECTION PRINCIPALS/ ATHLETIC DIRECTORS
FROM: JOE HEINZ, COMMISSIONER
TODD CASSEN, ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER
SUBJECT: CIF SAN DIEGO SECTION UPDATE
DATE: FEBRUARY 21, 2021 (REVISED 02-22-2021)
San Diego Section Leaders:
Based upon guidance released from the state on Friday, February 19, 2021, we wanted to provide you an update to the Master Calendars for both our Season 1 and Season 2 Sports moving forward.
Season 1 Sports:
Cross Country: With the current guidance not permitting more than two teams to participate in a contest, we are unable to see any pathway in which we would be able to host a championship event for our section. We will continue to work with our Conferences to look at all possible options to provide a culminating event for their leagues and conferences, with the last day of possible competition date of Saturday, March 27th.
Field Hockey: We opened the season of sport on Monday, February 1st in the Purple Tier and have yet to reach the Red Tier that would allow for competitions under the current guidance. Practices will continue through Thursday, February 25th. After this date, contact-based practices and competitions will be permitted to begin when the county of school residence reaches an Adjusted COVID Case Rate equal to or less than 14 per 100K. The current end date for Field Hockey is March 20th.
Football: After meeting with the section’s Conference Presidents and Football Coaches Advisory Committee we have made the following adjustments to our Master Calendar:
First Day of Practice: Friday, February 26, 2021, **(Contact based practices would not be permitted until the county of school residence reaches an Adjusted COVID Case Rate equal to or less than 14 per 100K)
First Possible Scrimmage: Thursday, March 11, 2021
First Possible Contest with No Scrimmage: Friday March 12, 2021
Last Day of Competition: Saturday, April 17, 2021
Swim & Dive: We are currently working towards hosting a Section Championship on April 24th. No adjustments have been made to the calendar at this time.
Indoor Sports of Badminton, Gymnastics, and Girls Volleyball: We are currently unable to officially open the Seasons for any indoor sports at this time. We will continue to monitor any changes and/or updates of the California Department of Public Health regarding indoor sports.
Even though the San Diego Section has chosen sport specific dates to open the Seasons of Sport, each individual member school or district may elect to open their seasons at a later date.
Season 2 Updates:
Purple Tier Sports (Golf, Tennis, Track & Field): Currently all three sports have officially opened their Seasons of Sport, and no changes have been made to the calendars for Golf & Tennis.
Track & Field: Based on a proposal of the section’s Track & Field Advisory Committee we have made the decision to move the Last Day of Competition up by one week to May 29th. CIFSDS Prelims would be moved to June 5th, and our CIFSDS Finals would be held on Saturday, June 12th should the event be permitted.
Red Tier Sports (Baseball, Girls' Lacrosse, Softball): No Changes to the Official First Day of Practice, previously scheduled for Saturday, March 13th. **(Contact based practices & competitions would not be permitted until the county of school residence reaches an Adjusted COVID Case Rate equal to or less than 14 per 100K)
Orange Tier Sports (Boys' Lacrosse, Boy's & Girls' Soccer, Boys' & Girls' Water Polo):
- Boys' & Girls' Soccer: Based upon the updated guidance from the state, we have adjusted the start date from Monday, February 22, to Friday February 26. **(Contact based practices & competitions would not be permitted until the county of school residence reaches an Adjusted COVID Case Rate equal to or less than 14 per 100K)
- Boys' Lacrosse: No adjustments have been made to the previously scheduled First Day of Practice set for Saturday, March 13th**(Contact based practices & competitions would not be permitted until the county of school residence reaches an Adjusted COVID Case Rate equal to or less than 14 per 100K)
- Boys' & Girls' Water Polo: No adjustments have been made to the previously scheduled First Day of Practice set for Saturday, April 17th. **(Contact based practices & competitions would not be permitted until the county of school residence reaches an Adjusted COVID Case Rate equal to or less than 14 per 100K)
Boys’ and Girls’ Wrestling: We are currently unable to officially open the Seasons for any indoor sports.
Yellow Tier Indoor Sports of Boys’ & Girls’ Basketball, Competitive Sport Cheer, Boys’ Volleyball,
We will continue to hold the potential First Day of Practice as Saturday, March 13th should any adjustments be made to the State’s Guidance or County Tier status.
- All Teams may continue to follow the Out of Season guidance (CIF-SDS Bylaw 600.2 or CIF State Bylaw 501 G) as they await the opportunity to officially begin their
- Even when the San Diego Section has determined the official start date to open a Seasons of Sport, each individual member school or district may elect to open their seasons on a later
- We are awaiting additional information on the required COVID Antigen/PCR Testing for the sport of Football & Water Polo. Once we have any additional information, we will send
- For additional information please review the Updated Youth Sports Guidance, released by the State of California Health Department on February 19, 2021, please click below:
We will be hosting a virtual Commissioners Access Meeting on Monday, February 22, 2021, 4:00 p.m., where we will review this information further and respond to any questions you may have moving forward.
Thank you, and please do not hesitate to contact our office should you have any questions.
Respectfully, Joe Heinz
CIF- San Diego Section 3470 College Avenue San Diego, CA 92115
Office: 858-292-8165 Fax: 858-292-1375
Mr. Joe Heinz Mr. Todd Cassen
Commissioner Assistant Commissioner
Ms. Stacy Candia Mr. Ron Marquez
Executive Administrative Assistant Operations and Events Coordinator